Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Frequently asked questions or FAQs are listed questions and answers to commonly asked questions from staff to the business and purchasing offices.

These answers to FAQs are provided to assist you with some of the basic questions received in the office.  We are posting them here to communicate answers for staff's ease of use.  It is our hope that you find this webpage helpful and informative.

This page is under development and new questions will be added as they arise and will be posted with answers on a regular basis.  

Can I purchase a portable fan or heater with district funds for my work area?

Personal fans/heaters cannot be purchased with district funds.  Is there a problem with the climate control in your work area? If yes, call M & O and they will troubleshoot the problem.

Can I purchase a fan for the copier workroom with district funds?

Due to the heat generated in small copier rooms, it may be necessary to increase the air movement in these areas and purchasing a fan is permitted for this purpose.

Can I have the district's Non-Profit number for a tax deduction?

The Santa Maria-Bonita School District is a public educational institution. Public schools are considered to be a political subdivision of the State of California and are therefore tax exempt. Any contribution to a political subdivision of a governmental agency is considered to be a deductible charitable contribution as long as it is used for the public good (IRC 170 (c)).

The Internal Revenue Code Section 170 (c) defines charitable contribution or gift to or for the use of a state, a possession of the United States, or any political subdivision of any of the foregoing of the United States or the District of Colombia, but only if the contribution or gift is made exclusively for public purposes. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.    Please call Dona Lundy at (805) 361-8132 for the district's Tax Identification Number.

Can a school use a raffle to raise money?

The answer is everybody's favorite, it depends. 

First, a student club may not conduct a raffle -- ASB's, Student Government, Garden Club etc.  Whatever the club, the state does not want a student organization connected to gambling, even for a good cause.  So in this case the answer is no. 

Second, a parent group may conduct raffles as fundraisers IF it has registered with the Department of Justice that they are an organization planning to operate "games of chance".   The following points should help:

  1. The group needs to have RECEIVED confirmation that its registration was received and is operative.
  2. The group needs to annually renew its registration and confirmation with the Department of Justice.
  3. The group needs to file a report for its activities regarding funds raised, the uses, and expenditures incurred.   Ninety percent (90%) of the proceeds must be used for the beneficial purpose of the raffle.

          For more information please review the information at this website:  


Can I purchase staff recognition items such as coffee mugs or tumblers with funds from my school's discretionary or general allocation?


Expenditures of school funds must be for a direct and primary public purpose to avoid being a gift.  Purchases of personal items are considered a gift a public funds.  Therefore, coffee mugs or tumblers or other such items are not allowed.   

 Suggestion:  purchase supply items that staff can use on the job such as pens or notepads.


The legality of any expenditure is determined by the "gift of public funds" provision in the California Constitution, Article 16, Section 6. This constitutional provision prohibits making any gift of public money to any individual (including public employees), corporation, or other government agency. It states, " . . . the Legislature shall have no . . . power to make any gift, or authorize the making of any gift, of any public money or thing of value to any individual . . .  ."